Do you struggle with finding a skincare routine that will give you a brighter, healthier face? With winter coming fast, you have every right to be nervous about dry, dull skin!
Good news – I’m here, along with the awesome website MindBodyGreen, to let you know you don’t have to panic just yet.
Below, I reveal the top 7 tricks I found were most effective in giving me the smooth, blemish-free skin I’ve always wanted.
The Previous State of My Skin
Before I put some serious thought into my daily skincare routine, the skin on my face was just blah. It wasn’t terrible, but I had more acne and dry skin than I cared to admit.
But when winter rolled around every year – oh my! My acne flared up worse than ever. My skin went from dry to flaking off my face. I couldn’t even wear scarves around my face due to the amount of foundation I used to cover up the blemishes and angry red skin.
I needed to change something…but what?
The internet has a horde of tips for taking care of your face . When I first did my research, I got buried under the avalanche of “do this, not that” lists and beauty
products. I decided to try a few different recommendations out over time. Within a few months, I figured out the 6 tips that left my skin feeling peachy (literally, like a peach’s soft skin).
7 Tips I Tried That Worked
In the Shower
- Exfoliate – gently.
- I’ve tried everything from no exfoliation to scrubbing super, super hard (really bad
- idea). No exfoliation didn’t clear away the dead skin, and the really tough exfoliation just damaged my skin and made my face red and angry.
- My favorite exfoliating tool is this little silicone guy. I found mine on Amazon. The pros with these are that they are very easy to clean, cost-effective, and just the right size for a crowded (or tiny) shower. Plus, the gentle rubber nubs don’t anger my skin, no matter how hard I press.
After the Shower
- Apply a Vitamin C serum right after the shower.
- This will allow it to soak into pores that have opened in the warm water.
- Vitamin C may also help to reverse or reduce the aging process because it is an antioxidant.
- I made sure to put my serum under my eyes – where I have natural bags – every morning and night. I noticed an overall brightening and evening effect after about a month of solid usage.
- Moisturize with the right lotion for your skin type.
- Everybody has different skin. MIne was oily because it was actually too dry. I had no idea I was supposed to be moisturizing every day. When I started, I noticed a difference in a matter of days!
- Figure out the best moisturizer for your skin.
- Cetaphil is a great brand for those with allergies or super sensitive skin. This moisturizer is sold at most drug stores.
- Remove all that makeup!
- It’s been proven that failing to remove your makeup before bed is bad. Makeup can clog your pores and prevent the production of sebum, which is responsible for lubrication and removing dead skin.
- Neutrogena is one of my favorite brands for makeup wipes. You can find these in a handy travel size at Walmart .
All Day Every Day
- No picking, popping or squeezing!
- As tempting as it may be to pop those pimples – hands off! Too much fussing with your acne can actually make it worse. Click here to read about how you should take care of those pimples.
- Drink Water….lots!
- When you drink water, you flux out toxins. According to Healthy Skin Care, these toxins can build up in the body an escape through your pores, causing acne.
- One easy way to drink more water is to have a bottle sitting in your workspace. It’s easy to forget to hydrate if you have to stop what you’re doing every time you want a drink.
- Sleep as much as possible.
- Sleep is every bit as important for your complexion as you’ve heard. Studies show your body boosts blood flow to the skin while you snooze, which means you wake to a healthy glow.
- Learn how to get a better night’s sleep here.
“Face” Your Fears this Winter
Having a skincare routine will allow you to save face this winter (literally). It’s all about trying what you think sounds best and sticking with it long enough to see if it works for you.
Now you have been equipped with my simple tips that will keep you merry and bright through the cold holiday months ahead!
For more information on how to stay healthy this winter, check out these self-care tips for winter.
What are the face-care tricks you swear by, especially as winter rolls around?